Dr. Ponec graduated from Stanford University and earned his Medical Degree at the University of Southern California. His Internal Medicine training was at UCLA. He completed his Gastroenterology fellowship at the University of Washington in Seattle in 1997.
Dr. Ponec is married to Lori, and has two sons, Steven and Andrew.
- 1997-Present Specialist in Gastroenterology/Hepatology. Salem Gastroenterology Consultants, Salem, Oregon Practice includes gastrointestinal and liver diseases, pancreaticobiliary therapeutic endoscopy, advanced endoscopic therapy, and endocopic ultrasound.
- 1996-1997 Therapeutic Endoscopy Fellow, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- 1994-1996 Senior Clinical Fellow, Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- 1987-1990 Residency, Internal Medicine, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- 1983-1987 Medical School, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- 1982-1983 Biology Graduate Studies, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
- 1978-1982 Undergraduate degree: BS, Biology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- 2005-2013 Medical Director, Salem Endoscopy Center
- 2010-Present Chairman: GI Cancer Services, Salem Cancer Institute
- 2011-Present Board member, Salem Hospital Foundation Board of Directors
- 2002-2006 Volunteered as Clinical Instructor, Division of Gastroenterology, Oregon Health and Science University (Staff Attending in GI Fellows’ Clinic)
- 2004-Present Volunteer teacher in annual medical school GI course at OHSU
- 2004-2006 Chairman, Department of Medicine, Salem Hospital, Salem, OR
- 2002-2004 Vice-Chairman, Department of Medicine, Salem Hospital
- 2002-2004 Director, Medicine Quality Review Committee, Salem Hospital
- 2000-2002 Member, Medicine Quality Review Committee, Salem Hospital
- 1990-1994 Staff Internist and Director of Residency Training Program, Oakland Navy Hospital, Oakland California
- 1990-1994 Director of Internal Medicine Clinic, Consult Service, Resident Morning Report, and Residency Teaching Curriculum for Internal Medicine, Oakland Navy Hospital, Oakland, CA
- 2006 & 2011 Salem Hospital Service Excellence Award (Elected by nurses, hospital staff, and fellow physicians)
- 1996-1997 Awarded full ASGE Therapeutic Endoscopy Scholarship, University of Washington Medical Center
- 1990-1994 Navy Commendation Medal for teaching and leadership in Internal Medicine Residency at Oakland Navy Hospital
- 1990-1994 Elected as best faculty teacher in medicine department in 1991 and 1994, and as best teacher of any department at Oakland Navy Hospital in 1991
- 1983-1987 Rank of Number 1 in medical school graduating class of 150 at University of Southern California
- 1983-1987 Dean's Award for Excellence: Years I, II, III, and IV of medical school
- 1997 Board Certified, Gastroenterology and Hepatology (Re-Certified May 2007)
- 1990 Board Certified, Internal Medicine. (Re-Certified in 2000 and again in 2010)
- 1995-Present Fellow, American College of Physicians
- 2007-Present Fellow, American College of Gastroenterology
- 1986-Present Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- 1995-Present Memberships in American College of Gastroenterology, American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, and American Gastroenterology Association
- 1997-Present Marion-Polk County Medical Society, Oregon Medical Assoc.