Hemmorrhoid banding is performed without sedation. A small tube called an anoscope is used to keep the anal sphincter open so the physician can directly visualize the internal hemorrhoids. The physician will use a banding tool to place a small rubber band around each internal hemorrhoid needing treatment. The small rubber band cuts off the blood supply, causing the hemorrhoid to fall off in about one to two weeks. One or more hemorrhoids can be banded during the procedure.
Reasons for Hemorrhoid Banding
- Because you have internal hemmorroids and your physician wants them removed
- Pain and bleeding
Risks and Complications
Banding hemorrhoids is generally a low-risk procedure. However, complications include but are not limited to the following:
- Pain: Mild pain or feeling pressure is normal and should go away with one or two hours. If you experience severe pain, contact the office for follow-up.
- Bleeding: Bleeding may occur at the first bowel movement after procedure. When hemorrhoids fall off about a week after the procedure, some bleeding is to be expected. If bleeding does not stop by itself, apply local pressure and contact the office for further instructions.
- Infection: Infection may occur at the banding site. Symptoms could include pain, fever and inability to urinate. Contact the office for follow-up.
- Narrowing of Rectal Opening: The banding may scar and leave a smaller opening in the rectum, making it difficult to have bowel movements.
- Hemorrhoids May Reoccur: If hemorrhoids reoccur, the banding procedure may be repeated.
- Other Risks: Additional risks include reactions and complications from diseases you may already have. Instrument failure and death are extremely rare but remain remote possibilities.
YOU MUST INFORM YOUR PHYSICIAN OF ALL YOUR ALLERGIC TENDENCIES AND MEDICAL PROBLEMS.
About Salem Endoscopy: Salem Endoscopy Center performs non-invasive procedures such as screening colonoscopies, upper endoscopies and other diagnostic procedures. If a procedure is needed, having it performed at our facility offers many advantages. We have state of the art HD equipment and are AAAHC accredited. Giving you the best care and experience are our main goals.